Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dispelling preconceived ideas....

Sitting in on Janna's teaching is a constant reminder of my purpose; why I am here in South Africa, not only my reason for being here, but also preparing to head to Australia for my next season of life. I am here, after thousands of miles of travel, loss of hours of sleep, 9 hours of time change, and adjustment to a new culture and set of responsibilities... Excited to participate. What makes me tear up even more than the opportunity to assist the trainers, is investing in the lives of so many. These Africans are so loving and beautiful. My friend told me before I arrived "make sure you get to experience TRUE Africa." I responded in doubt that I would get that opportunity as I would be in a training and conference center for the short two weeks I had come for. In addition, I had this perception of where I was going of being predominately affluent by African standards at large, which my bias dictates that this is not "true" Africa. Yet, I am so wrong.
The workshop of 31 from all over South Africa!!!!

We have had the privilege of investing in the lives of those living and working in, what we consider in our western world as barely tolerable as a lifestyle; yet these South Africans do it without complaint. They do it out of their passion for those who, as scripture says are the closest to God's heart and the weakest and most vulnerable in society.





Psalm 10:14
"But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted;
    you consider their grief and take it in hand.
The victims commit themselves to you;
    you are the helper of the fatherless."

These care givers do what God has called us all to do and have sacrificed much and fought the systems here in Africa to do so. They come against lack of support from the government, education systems, and even more heart-breaking , their churches;  indeed the very system that they work for and under. The church here, but not limited to Africa, is the place where they often find most friction and lack of prioritization of care for the children and children's programs. You and I are fully aware that children are our future and are at the center of God's kingdom, the apple of His eye.

Matthew 19:14
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

Very little funds are given to such and one  women's testimony here was that as they raised funding running an event for their children's programs, the church leadership in turn took the majority of the funds raised and left a very small percentage for the children's ministry and programs.


True Mozambiquen talent!

These are the types of injustices they come against not including each child's own stories of brokenness and need. These individuals challenge me in so many ways and have told us again and again how key and valuable this training has been for them. Many have even shared how their perspective and focus has changed and they are energized to take back this training to others they work with and their churches and to implement change where they have the authority to do so, fighting for where they do not.  Many of these individuals (there are 31 total) are doing full time work and ministry with children who have been marginalized by society. The approximate number of kids the trainees minister to is


Here are a few quotes from the participants of the seminar below. They speak volumes more than I could say if I were to try to recap everything.

“I believe things can change.”

“I learned so much.  There is more to taking care of children than development, what God thinks, a Biblical perspective. “What God intends’ was so powerful.
In front of Nelson Mandela's home in Joburg

I came to get trained but I feel like I’ve been going through a retreat!.

If we can teach our children what we’ve learned here we will have presidents!  Those who will do things according to God’s ways.. 

God has no hands, but ours.
God has no ears, but ours.
God has no eyes, but ours.
God has no feet, but ours.”

Story of $70 million being given to AIDS in one province of South Africa.
$65 million went to research and people’s salary
5 million went to people to help them.
Still don’t know how it helped.

Even though I teach others these things, I learned so much!  Steven.

(It’s important) to give children the opportunity or the legal responsibility to talk or speak for themselves.

No comments: