Friday, March 4, 2011

What an Amazing and yet Unexpected Year....

Representing our countries in Zona Norte
building relationships with the kids, my favorite part!
Pondering on the new season of my life that is approaching ever so quickly and ooking back on my year last year here in Mexico, makes me realize how blessed I have been. I never planned to stay more than 3 months; God had other plans. I feel its been one of the best years of my life to be quite honest. Full of research, pioneering, pouring into kid's lives, building long-lasting relationships and growing in so many different talents and abilities by being thrown into work and life here on this base. Life is never boring on a YWAM base. I have been able to assist in administrative work, hospitality, cooking, cleaning, ministry, tutoring children, assisting with hosting teams, building homes, running large events, translation, organizing and providing training for staff here who work with children at risk, and prepping for the school.

Craft Time!
Perhaps some of the most exciting things I got to do here was join in ministry as well as research and pioneer ministry here. Makes me wander if God is truly calling me to work and grow in other giftings and abilities that I never assumed I would be able to walk in, along side the talents or passions He already gave me. In missions, in many ways one is forced to be a pioneer. If you want to walk out in your passions, often you have to create the ministry or go find where the need is and how best to reach those in need. I was able to join others in ministry here on the base who pioneered work in a neighborhood here where land was alloted to poor families by the government, through helping to tutor the children. I never imagined I would want to or even be good at that, but I love it. I loved watching the kids grow to love learning and seeing them excel in an already over-burdened school system. I loved to see the hardened girls and boys in the jouvenile hall we visit, learn to love to sing and pray to God. I loved walking the streets of the red light district here, to get even the slightest idea of how much God's heart breaks for the individuals there. I enjoyed the discovery of how little it takes to brighten up a child's already burdened life by simply just taking a program of games, crafts and stories to them and by sharing God's love to them. I was blessed to invest in one of the  families here, being an emotional support to the mom while we took her to drug rehab, taking the kids to visit their mom,  and building a house for them and their grandmother. Wow! There have been so many moments that have filled this past year to overflow for me. So many great people and friends.... I will miss intensely. I love my students and I love the staff here. I also am blessed by the leaders on this base, their humility and surrendered lives to God and the way they lovingly guide us as their flock.
Baseball.... an upcoming phenomenom in Zona Norte

Perhaps my fondest memories... are with working with the children in the red light district. As we have been building relationships with them, we are moving past the "honeymoon" stage and getting to really know the kids and see how they react. Some are very hardened "street kids" who are displaying signs of so many behaviours and dysfunctions and those are the kind that I seek out the most and want God to allow me to touch their lives. They are the kind that are tough to love but oh so in NEED of God's love. Pray with me for them.
wait,  are we frozen????

1 comment:

all the joy you bring said...

So awesome! God is so good! as He will never forsake us or leave us. You are finding the most of the "joys" in a life full of Him. In those small things we can take for granted sometimes or yet forgotten. Que hermosas palabras!