Tuesday, February 1, 2011

taking steps forward in someone else's shoes or lack thereof

http://www.stepsofjustice.org/

my random thoughts on this day of shoelessness (yes, its my word invention)...

shoot, I forgot its "no shoes" day... but its rainy and cold... why can I not find (while searching frantically) the shoes I had decided to give?... instead submitting to the fact that I will give my flip-flops.... later realizing that actually giving my cheap flip-flops would be more of a sacrifice, more humbling as they are cheap shoes to give and that well, I  NEED those for the shower.... I mean after all they are my only summer shoes. ;-)

uggghhhh! ugly feet, soar and abused feet.... its not that bad, freeing, really then by late afternoon.. I WANT my shoes, I feel dirty, tired of getting up the nerve to walk through the rocks... why do we have to have rock beds? and awww... nice, soft dirt....

What is it like for others around the world who experience their lives with no shoes?  To be honest if it is part of your culture/lifestyle, it would be strange to be forced to wear shoes. I imagine one would walk around with calloused feet, yet I have been told its good for your feet, after all some of the fastest runners in the world... run shoeless. Sure, when its cold/muddy it protects us from the elements but if that is what your body is used to somehow it builds up immunities.

I guess in all this... yes, it is suffering to walk shoeless, against the elements or when the path is rugged, even possibly for health reasons.... worms, etc. It is good to lay aside things we take for granted on a regular basis and its makes me appreciate my comfy and carefree life as it is. I do appreciate what I have processed this day but more importantly I want to not just simply give of my possessions but of the best gifts that I possess; the ability to share out of the abundance and overflow of my relationship with the creator of the universe, who clothes the lilies of the field.

No comments: