Sunday, September 12, 2010

Never the perfect moment...

I have been inspired recently to write an update. I do wish that writing my personal thoughts and recounting what I am seeing and doing here in Tijuana, Mexico was much easier to formulate into words. Its weird posting my thoughts and limited writing skills here for the world to see, if they come across this blog. I am more than glad to share with those closest to me, who already read and love hearing from me, whether I write about hippos in the zoo or about my most intimate thoughts. So, I have decided in my mind, that my audience is simply YOU... those who really do love me and are anxious to hear about what I am seeing, hearing, feeling and experiencing first hand, much of which YOU aren't able to experience personally due to responsibilities and circumstances at home. I will try my best to inspire you instead of bore you. And thank you for reading and more importantly, taking time to pray and support me and encourage me in what I feel God is leading me to partake in here in Tijuana, Mexico and in Latin America in general.

Ok, well, so what has been on my heart lately is street kids again. As most of you know, I felt a burden and passion to invest my time working with street kids since I was a teenager. I have had my experiences of working with street kids in both Brazil and Colombia. I miss those times greatly. Yet, God has led me to work in other areas as well with children at risk globally, making my focus much broader than I had anticipated. With God, you never know where you will go next. Its an exciting and adventurous, but sometimes stretching experience. I feel in many ways, although my focus with this year's Children at Risk School and also with my training in Dec. - Jan with Not for Sale, my focus has become more directed with trafficking victims; I feel God is tugging at my heart again to focus on street children, who are victims of trafficking themselves in most cases.

I feel I need to backtrack a little to explain a little of what we have been doing this past month, since I have written last. Amanda and I were privileged to host a Child Sexual Exploitation training at our base here in Tijuana, Mexico. About 20 staff from all 3 bases participated in the training. We felt a great desire and need to train our staff as we have recently been in contact with victims asking for our help, but without training, how can we assist them? It has been a great blessing and honor to meet Marissa Ugarte and Phil Gazley, both who have worked in the anti-trafficking movement for many years. They were able to give the training. I, as well as other staff members, feel better equipped to respond when we are faced with victims.

In addition to offering this training, we have been meeting with a guy in the red light district here in Tijuana who has been working with the children in this area for years. He is a truly genuine and humble man who lives out of his office, in order to make it financially. He works with people who want to come down to offer the children an alternative or something to better themselves and their lives. These children live and play on the streets during the day and most likely live in a rented room at night with their mother who works the streets. They are at high risk and every time we go down at night to pray over the streets and feed the homeless we see many kids out and about just roaming the streets. This scene breaks my heart even more than the heaviness I experience and see at almost every corner of the area.

Our base leader has agreed that some of us can begin going down and offering the kids some workshops; whether, dance, art, sports, etc. I just need to work out the logistics. So, please pray for me, us as I am looking for staff available to partner with me. Many are excited to go down, however, we are all very busy and I won't be around for much longer before I go home for my break. Starting this new area of ministry has been on my heart for the last few months, but it has been hard to find a good time to begin. Pray for connections with the kids. I am so excited, I feel like its been over a year, since I have worked with "street children" and can barely contain my energy take up the challenge to earn the children's trust. Street children are the hardest to reach and to earn their trust, but when they let you in; it feels rewarding beyond explanation. God is moving and stirring my heart, as well as others here. I will be coming up with the plan this week and then taking it hopefully to begin work by no later than next week.

Thanks for listening and your prayers. God is good!

2 comments:

Karina said...

Thanks for sharing!
IT is a blessing to hear from you...
Ill be praying for staff, the street kids, and you of course!
anything else let me know; I want to set time aside everyday for intercession.
Love you,
Kari

all the joy you bring said...

Praying for you friend. I know the start is hard and can be overwhelm at times. Thanks for sharing from your heart. God is hearing each of them. And knows the desires of your heart. "This is the promise He made. He will be with You always ..."

Muchas bendiciones de Dios para ti. Thinking of you!

Heb 13